Sunday, October 23, 2011

fun found treasures


I've been having these cravings to get into the metals studio recently.  After finding this awesome money clip at a storage unit sale, this urge has become even worse... It was really obvious while looking around at this sale that the locker had belonged to an older woman, which can only mean one thing...  relics of the deceased.  I went to the sale two days in a row, and i didn't see this piece till day 2.  I was pleased to pick it up for $2.  I just thought it was pretty novel, and I had never seen a money clip like this before.  I think it would be a lot of fun to make some, maybe incorporating some recycled materials for the image.  it's pretty simple looking, two sides, a hinge, and the hinge pin doubles as the money holder.  Maybe add a little chasing or a rolled on pattern, or even some reticulation-- soooo much fun, so many possibilities.  I really need to get my studio started.  wishful thinking does not = money in my pocket.
















Outside front
Flea markets are also a favorite place I like to go to, but I hardly have the time recently.  I went a month ago with my dad and grandma.  I picked up some awesome costume jewelry and a cute little picture locket (picture included!).  The case for the locket is pretty interesting.  it appears to be tri-colored with lines of brass (gold?), copper, and a mystery metal (maybe silver?).  It's fun to think about how different this locket is compared to the ones we have now.  The size alone is drastically larger than any locket i've seen.  Even though it appears to be a mass-produced piece, it's still pretty high quality.  I looked up the stamp on the picture clip, FMCO, and found this article.  Apparently, this locket was made sometime in the 20's or 30's, by the The Finberg Manufacturing Company.  I tried using a couple different magnets on it, and it wasn't attracted to any of them, so I'm assuming it's gold.  not bad for $7. 

back view.




No comments:

Post a Comment