Thursday, October 27, 2011

Final Countdown

Implements of Artstruction
Today was super busy.  Woke up early and immediately started digging through the storage unit for my tools and equipment for the trip.  Since i had to dig through all of my boxes within the last month due to the lost passport debacle, I was able to find everything fairly quickly. 

I got everything cleaned off and remarked.  I couldn't help giggling about how it all looked when i laid it out for the picture.  My tools look like that of a dentist or a psychopath.  I had an odd experience while i was rinsing everything off.  I guess it's been so long since i've touched wet sloppy clay, that i started smiling uncontrollably when i felt it on my hands.  Sort of like that fun feeling you get when you put on a pair of roller skates or hop on a bike after it's been forever.  Silly stuff like that always gets me giddy.
 
I decided that I wasn't done with my slide presentation after all, and made a trip out to SIUE to take some pictures of the studio.  I ran into a few old friends and got to see some of my profs.  It was pretty fun.  lots of smiles and hugs.  It made me all wispy.  There are so many new people, but it seems like the conversational topics are still as colorful as they were when i was there... Still lewd, still crude.  I think I left a footprint. 

I wasn't there for very long, but I got to spend about 10 minutes talking with Paul Dresang about the trip and life in general.  We talked a little about what he's been up to, and he showed me the barbed wire he's been working on for his sofa piece.  It was really nice seeing him again.  Although, I noticed that he took down the bumper magnet i put on his storage cabinet ("Real Men love jesus").  I'm guessing that with all the renovation/construction going on that most of the fun little quirks that make up the studio character had to be put away.  I'd heard that OSHA came through and dropped the hammer on the department as well.  No more cool whip or cottage cheese glaze containers in that studio! 

I finally finished the slide presentation, for real this time, and have been working on my list of things i need to remember to bring.  I have also been looking up the basic info i'll need for while i'm over there.  I was relieved to find out that the trip from the airport in Copenhagen to Skaelskor is only going to be $23, and includes a 2 hour journey involving a train, a bus, and my legs.  Not too shabby.  It's going to be pretty awesome, because my flight gets in around 6am, I'll get to Skaelskor hopefully by 10, and have some time to unwind and explore the grounds and the town, and possibly make some awesome new acquaintances. 

Tomorrow will probably be spent shopping for some last minute stuff, packing, printing out copies of things i will probably need, going over/refining sketches, and arguing with my dad that his power converter can't handle the load of a hair iron. 


 Turns out, internet is a whopping $4.68/week, so keeping this going is looking pretty darn feasible. 


"No cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer."

No comments:

Post a Comment