Friday, November 4, 2011

Went into the town today!

I have a little time before dinner, so I thought i'd get to blogging.  Today was one of those "it's pretty awesome, but there was shit" days.  I discovered that the brick clay i'm using just does not like to be hand built.  I got this huge vertical crack on my piece right after lunch.  It seems to be pretty temperamental about how wet/dry it is.  you can't use strait water on it, as it wants to immediately start cracking.  I've already bought a lot of it, but I don't think i'm going to return it.  I threw 2 cups with it last night, and they survived all day today, so i think i may use the rest of this earthenware to make pots with.  I haven't really been able to make pottery in a year, other than a set as a christmas present for a friend.  I don't think of it as a distraction, as i do have some time in between adding coils  to the sculpture.  It's more productive.  I really like the cups I made though.  I pushed out little nodules from the inside, then tried pushing back in from the outside to get more depth.  the result looks a lot like a smoke plume.  i'm fairly certain i could get a more clear image/meaning out of this technique.  I want to try to marry my sculptural concepts with my pottery, so muscle tissue and other such things are probably going to find their way onto/into these pots.  It's actually pretty exciting for me.  I really missed throwing. 

My beer cooler- the vindue
After lunch today, I went into town to run some errands.  I went grocery shopping, and picked up some food stuffs, as well as 2 boxes of tea (strawberry and lemongrass and a variety pack with earl grey, british morning breakfast tea, and 2 others).  I've been drinking a lot of tea since i've been here, which is funny because i normally don't like it and don't partake in it.  I decided though that with every adventure, one must learn new things and bring them home with them--drinking tea being one of those things.  I'm not regretting it so far.  it's actually quite nice to sit with a hot cup of tea when it's so chilly out.  I also bought some more lunch meat.  I have no clue what it is.  I think it may somehow be fish...  I'll find out tomorrow! 
 
While i was perusing the beverage isle, I happened to spot a 4-pack of Guiness tall cans at a wonderful price!  It came up to $4, so I went ahead and purchased myself some.  I pulled one off the pack when I got home and put it in between the windows in my room to chill it.  I just checked on it a little while ago, and it's feeling ripe.  I'll probably have it with dinner, as we're having a cabbage dish.  fitting. 
The view down the main strip


I worked in the studio a little more after I came back, and went back into town with my room mate.  We stopped at a pharmacy, and she showed me the second hand stores off the main strip.  I didn't find anything in the first store, but i ended up buying a really awesome skirt and cute yellow sweater at the second one.  The thrift stores here actually have really nice clothes for really cheap.  It's surprising what you find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment