Sunday, November 20, 2011

it's been a while

After many nights of randomly getting together in the kitchen and having late night cheese and wine binges, we finally proposed an official wine and cheese night.  We all brought a cheese, some wine, and some crackers.  We had invited Donato to dinner since he has been bringing us fruit.  he showed up yesterday around lunch with a bunch of boxes of pre sliced melon (which went well with cheese/wine night).  There were all sorts of cheeses: goat cheese, brie, gorganzola, gouda with chilis, incredibly smelly cheese-- it was a smorgasbord.  We started off a little early around 8:00, and it went until late in the night. I really want to do this again back in the states, even if it's just 2 cheeses, a bottle of wine and one friend.  It's an adventure in taste and good conversation.





I went to the second hand store again to see if they got anything new and because they're having a half-off christmas sale.  I scored myself another plate for my collection of kitchen plates.  This one is all black and has the latin title of skaelskor on it.  i looked up what it said, and after a little sleuthing, i've come to the conclusion that it's commemorating the unification of skaelskor as a town under queen agnes.  It's made by the same person that made this other plate i got a week ago that commemorates the 25th anniversary of a union here in skaelskor.  i'd say i've landed some pretty sweet souvenirs considering there's not really anywhere around here to buy such things.  I'm pumped about having danish plates for the kitchen wall.  So far, I have Chile, Seoul, Panama, Nicaragua, Paris, Turkey, Greece, bunches of Italian plates from a few regions, and now Denmark.  My kitchen is slowly becoming a tour of the world.        

 
"S. Civitatis: Schelveschore"

I also found and purchased a set of 12 tea spoons (tiny little spoons, not measuring spoons) with a checkered pattern on their handles.  I've wanted a set of these since i first saw them in Italy.  I really liked the design, and the price was right.  Most of the stuff in the thrift stores here is insanely cheap. 

I've been working a lot recently, thus the lack of bloggery.  I'm starting to get to the top of my sculpture.  I'm hoping that i'll get it sealed off tomorrow so I can let it set up and build the bottom the next day and get to the detail work.  I'm planning on high firing it in oxidation in hopes that it will be easier on the clay and prevent cracking and slumping.  I've already gotten my test of the earthenware bisqued and it's in the test kiln right now with some clear glaze on half of it.  I brushed on and sponged off black slip on half of the tile to see if it will add more depth to the color of the clay when fired to temp.  I decided to go with the matte clear glaze as well--it's shiny enough to appeal to my inner raccoon and dull enough to keep me from going insane looking at it.  I have a general idea on how i want to glaze the earthenware, but no solid plan as of yet.  i'm going to make the final decision when the test comes out.  I had to have Anna help me program the kiln because the controller was entirely in Danish and i had never even seen or used a controller like it.

I'm loading my first bisque with a few other people tomorrow.  hopefully that kiln won't be so hard to figure out.  I keep getting confused by the temperatures because i'm not used to working in Celsius.  At least cones are universal, haha.       

No comments:

Post a Comment